Dr. Vinicio Corona is a cardiologist who studies and treats the structure and function of the heart. He is a specialist in treating and preventing the impact of different diseases within the cardiovascular system, especially as they apply to sports medicine and athletes.
In private practice in Guatemala City since 1992, he has helped thousands of patients to understand how cardiac symptoms affect their well-being and ability to perform at their best. Under his care, these patients can depend on Dr. Corona to listen carefully to their concerns and provide high-quality examinations to determine accurate diagnosis and treatment.
Shortness of breath, chest pains, irregular heartbeats, or dizzy spells could be symptoms of heart disease, and require specialized testing. Dr. Corona evaluates the history and evolution to determine the source of the problem and begin your treatment plan right away. His skills and training are required for patients who are planning for a surgery, whenever there is a risk of cardio pulmonary complications.
Sports medicine, as it applies to cardiology, is an emerging field and Dr. Corona understands the cardiovascular issues unique to athletes striving for peak performance. Playing soccer or rugby, running marathons, weight-lifting, or playing tennis all day can cause different sorts of strain on the heart, for different sorts of players. You can continue to push your physical abilities and still remain within healthy limits.
Athletes are passionate about their game, so Dr. Corona recommends that sports participants visit with him first, to discuss their endurance goals, and possible concerns, before the fatigue and chest pains start.
Dr. Corona has served as medical advisor to the following Clinical Research Studies:
- Diabetes Clinical Trials for Sanofi, Aventis, Novartis, Takeda, 2006-2014
- Coronary Events Clinical Trials for Novartis, Sanofi, and Takeda, 2008-2014
- Hypertension and Heart Failure Clinical Trials for Novartis, Sanofi, and Aventis, 2007 to date.
- Multiple Sclerosis Clinical Trials for Novartis, 2009-2013
See the complete list in the “Publications” section.
Dr. Corona wants to hear your story. Many patients with a family history of heart disease, and general concern for overall health, will visit him for a consultation to learn more about preventing heart attack and stroke before the problems begin. All your symptoms and concerns, fitness patterns and lifestyle changes are clues for him to consider potential risks and consider adjustments. He has the patience to help you understand what’s happening, what you can expect as a result, and then decide together on the best course of action.
Having a great cardiologist on your side can make a life-saving difference in the way you enjoy daily work-out activities. For prevention of heart disease, monitoring rhythm and blood flow, and long-term cardiovascular health, Dr. Vinicio Corona is your most valuable teammate.
Asociacion de Medicos Especialistas de Guatemala – AMEDESGUA. Association of Medical Specialists of Guatemala.
- Hospital Herrara Llerandi, Ciudad de Guatemala. Miembro de la Unidad de Cardiologia desde 2008, Staff Member of the Cardiology Group, since 2008.
- Miembro desde 1992. Hospital Associate since 1992.
European Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education – EACCME
European Society of Cardiology – ESC
- Annual Congress Certificate, Barcelona Spain, 2017
Fundacion Chusita Llerandi de Herrera, Las Hijas de la Caridad, Hospital Universitario Esperanza. Hospital Eesperanza, Daughters of Charity Foundation.
- Coordinador del Módulo de Cardiología, 2017. Coordinator of the Cardiology Unit.
- Profesor del Programa Posgrado de Medicina Interna, 2017. Professor of the Post-graduate Program in Internal Medicine.
American Heart Association – American Stroke Association
- Scientific Sessions, Continuing Education, Orlando, Florida, 2015
- Medical Provider: Emergency Cardiovascular Care. Medico proveedor para el Curso de Cidados en Emergencias Cardiovasculares.
- Medical Provider: CPR – Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation. Resucitacion Cardiopulmonar.
European Board for Accreditation in Cardiology – EBAC
- European Society of Cardiology Congress, London, England, 2015
Colegio de Medicos y Cirujanos de Guatemala
- Especialista en Medicina Interna, Activo #5587, 2012
La Asociacion Guatemalteca de Cardiologia
- Vocal de la Junta Directiva, 2000-2002. Speaker of the Board of Directors
- Miembro Activo desde 1992, Active Member since 1992
Asociación Brasileña de Cardiología. Brazilian Association of Cardiology
- Miembro Activo, Active Member since 1991
American Association of Sports Medicine Asociacion Americana de Medicina Deportiva
Simposium Centroamericano de Atencion Primeria Central America Symposium on Primary Care
- Reconocimiento, Guatemala, 2012. Recognition in 2012.
Grupo Menarini, Centro America y El Caribe
- Reconocimiento de Apoyo, 2014. Recognition of Support, 2014
Universidad de Francisco Marroquin – UFM, Facultad de Medicina. UFM Medical School, Guatemala City
- Especialista en Medicina Interna y Cardiologia, 2012. Specialty in Cardiology and Internal Medicine, 2012
- Profesor Adjunto Catedra de Cardiologia. Adjunct Professor in the Cardiology Dept.
- Medico y Cirujano, 1984. Physician and Surgeon Degree, 1984
Universidad Federal de Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Brasil
- Maestria y Especializacion en Cardiologia, Master’s and Specialization in Cardiology, 1991
- Especialidad en Medicina del Ejercicio. Specialty in Sports Exercise Medicine
Asociacion de Medicina Interna de Guatemala
- Curso de Buena Practica Medica. Course in Good Medical Practice
Hospital Roosevelt de Guatemala
- Residencia Posgrado en Medicina Interna, 1986-1988
Research Studies Conducted by Dr. Vinicio Corona:
United Nations Education, Science and Culture Organization – UNESCO
Centro Latino-Americano de Física – CLAF
Study: Randomized double-blind phase III study in diabetic patients on Metformin treatment with stable dosing associated with vildagliptin versus other group treated with metformin and sitagliptin.
Multinational study of registration of management and survival strategies of patients with acute coronary events.
Valsartan Study: 7 Val 489
Randomized, double-blind multicenter study with active control, parallel group to evaluate the efficacy and safety of valsartan 320mg, compared with valsartan 160mg in hypertensive patients.
Combination of amlodipine and Aliskiren as initial treatment strategy. Addition to the strategy of sequential treatment in addition in patients with essential hypertension. Multicenter, randomized, double-blind study of parallel groups.
Valsartan Study & Hydrochlorothiazide:
Six-week, multicenter, randomized, double-blind study of parallel groups to evaluate the combination of Valsartan and Hydrochlorothiazide 160 / 12.5mg, with forced titration up to a maximum dose of 320/25 mg compared to monotherapy of valsartan 160mg with forced titration up to 320mg , as initial therapy in patients with severe arterial hypertension.
Multicenter randomized double-blind, controlled, placebo, parallel group study to determine if in patients with type II diabetes, with high risk of cardiovascular or renal alikiren events, in addition to conventional treatment, reduces cardiovascular and renal morbidity and mortality.
Paradign-HF Prospective study:
Multicentric, double blind to evaluate the efficacy of the combination of Sacubitril – Valsartan versus Enalapril in the impact on overall mortality and morbidity in patients with heart failure and Decrease means of the systolic function measured by the performance fraction.
Multicentric, double-blind study that studies the efficacy of the combination of Sacubitril – Valsartan versus Valsartan, on mortality and recurrence of hospitalizations in patients with heart failure and fraction of execution preserved.
CANTOS – The Canakinumab Anti-Inflammatory and Thrombosis Outcome Study
Prospective study. Multicentric, double blind to test the efficacy of Canakinumab versus placebo in patients with previous myocardial infarction and high vascular inflammation indexes, with Ultrasensitive C-reactive protein, on the incidence of cardiovascular events and mortality.
Come back soon to read about the latest treatment methods that this doctor finds most interesting.
Please write to us about your experience with the doctor in the “Comments” section below. Other patients will be interested to know more about the doctor’s skill, experience, ethics and personal attention, as they resulted in your successful outcome.
Peer Reviews From Other Doctors
Read here what other doctors have to say about this doctor.
Charity, Public Service, Donations
Public service and caring for the less fortunate is a way of life in the Latin American culture.
Patient Success Stories
Every patient has different circumstances and expectations. We will tell you about an interesting and unusual case that the doctor was able to turn around with unexpectedly outstanding results.