Procedures and Treatments:
Bile duct evaluation and diagnosis
Cirrhosis of the liver
Colon Cancer Prevention
Complicated Abdominal Pain
Stents in bile ducts
Dr. Fernando Granai is a gastroenterologist who specializes in diagnosing and treating diseases of the digestive tract. In addition to performing endoscopic gastric studies, he has extensive experience working with patients who suffer from hepatic, or liver illness.
Dr. Granai has been an honored guest speaker, respected associate and valuable participant in medical seminars and conventions around the world. By invitation of the Cleveland Clinic Foundation, World Congress of Gastroenterology, and British Society of Gastroenterology, to name a few, Dr. Granai has attended scientific meetings throughout the United States, Europe, and Latin America, for over 25 years.
From the time you first begin to suffer abdominal pain, until a surgical intervention is indicated, the gastroenterologist is your new best friend. Most patients are familiar with endoscopy, when the doctor looks down your throat to the stomach, or a colonoscopy to search for pre-cancerous polyps in the colon and lower intestines. However, there are dozens of branches, ducts, canals and systems in between that require close investigation to be sure everything is flowing smoothly.
ERCP, or endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography, is a procedure used to diagnose diseases of the gallbladder, biliary system, pancreas, and liver. The test looks “upstream” into the liver, gallbladder and pancreas, where digestive fluid comes from, and follows that journey toward the intestines. During an ERCP exam, Dr. Granai would use an endoscope to identify the bile duct and feed a catheter into it to examine the inside of the digestive system and then inject a contrast agent. The fluid shows on x-rays, allowing the doctor to see the interaction between the digestive organs.
At Digastro, in zone 10 of Guatemala City, Dr. Granai offers the latest techniques and equipment to measure stiffness or fat content of the liver, for patients who suffer from chronic liver disease, hepatic fibrosis or cirrhosis. Transient elastography with the FibroScan method is rapid, accurate, non-invasive and is performed in Guatemala only at Dr. Granai’s clinic. It is a painless and risk-free alternative to liver biopsies.
Dr. Granai treats all his patients like family, that’s why he recommends that everyone with chronic gastric issues should get regular check-ups to avoid a medical emergency. The doctor says, “I like people, and that’s why they like me. It’s very rewarding to me when patients return for many years, so I know they are protected and comfortable, with the best possible attention.”
Latin American Association for the Study of the Liver – ALEH
- Moderator of the 12th Annual National Congress of Gastroenterology. Antigua, Guatemala, July 2017.
National Congress of Internal Medicine, Guatemala City.
- Table moderator and assistant to the XXXV National Congress of Internal Medicine, February 2017.
- Attendee at the XXXIV Congress, 2016.
- Guest professor at the XXX National Congress of Internal Medicine “The Medical Practice of the Internist, Adult Physician”, February 2012.
- National Congress of Internal Medicine, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001.
- Presentation: ” Total Paracentesis with Hemacel Replacement as a Treatment for Severe Ascites in Patients with Portal Hypertension”. XIII Congress, 1995.
- Presentation: “Mechanical Lithotripsy as a treatment for large bile duct stones”. XIII Congress, 1996.
Central America and Caribbean Society of Gastroenterology
- Digestive Endoscopy, Antigua, Guatemala, July 2017
- 1st. Meeting Speaker
Cleveland Clinic Foundation
- Continuing Education Gastroenterology and Hepatology Course, Boca Raton, Florida, 2016.
- Guest Speaker at the Scientific Session in Guatemala, 2003.
Guatemalan Association of Internal Medicine
- Speaker “Clostridium Difficile Infestation Management” 2014.
- Speaker at the Scientific Session, 2003.
Central America and Caribbean Congress of Internal Medicine
Esperanza University Hospital and Herrera Llerandi Hospital
- Courtesy Doctor
- Participation in the 1st. International Medical Symposium, Hospital Herrera Llerandi – Northwestern Medicine. Guatemala City, March 2015.
- Guest professor in the Postgraduate Program of Internal Medicine, Esperanza University Hospital, Guatemala City, 2000.
National Congress of Gastroenterology
- Assistant to the National Congress, Antigua, Guatemala, 2015.
- Vocal Pre-Congress Course of the Organizing Committee.
- XIX Central America Congress
- Pre-Congress Course of Therapeutic Endoscopy, Antigua Guatemala, November 2002.
- Member of the Organizing Committee, 1996.
Francisco Marroquín University – UFM, School of Medicine
- Guest Speaker and Attendee at the 16th Scientific Session of the Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 2014.
- Guest Professor – Postgraduate class of Internal Medicine, 2009-2010.
- Guest Professor – Internal Medicine Postgraduate, 2007-2008.
Latin America Association of Internal Medicine of Guatemala
- Participant to the XXX Congress “The Medical Practice of the Internist”, Guatemala, 2012
- Participant to the VII y XXIX Congress, Guatemala, 2011.
Society of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Gastrointestinal Endoscopy of Guatemala.
- Active Member
- Table Moderator at the IX Congress, Ciudad de Antigua, Guatemala, 2010.
- Table Moderator at the XIX Congress, Hepatology and Pre-Congress Course of Therapeutic Endoscopy, Antigua Guatemala, November 2002.
- Speaker, Table Moderator and Participant at the XII Congress, 2003.
Association of Internal Medicine of Guatemala
- Academic Event Assistant, 2009.
- Organizing Committee, 2009.
- Professor in the II Course of Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery in Gastroesophageal Reflux, Guatemala, 2000.
Centro Médico Hospital of Guatemala
- Active Member
- Speaker at the XI Scientific Week “60 years growing up with you”, 2008.
- VI Scientific Week, October, 2003.
World Congress of Gastroenterology, Vienna, Austria
- Attendee, Digestive Endoscopy, Colo-Proctology, 1998, 2001, 2003.
- 10th United European Gastroenterology Week, Geneva, Switzerland, 2002.
Pan American Congress of Gastroenterology
- Uruguayan Congress of Gastroenterology, Punta del Este, Uruguay, 2003.
- Digestive Endoscopy, 2002.
- Digestive Diseases, Vancouver Canada,1999.
American Gastroenterology Association – AGA
- Annual Scientific Meeting and Postgraduate Course. Las Vegas, Nevada, 2001.
- Attendee, San Diego, California, 2000.
Asociación de Gastroenterología de Guatemala
- Treasurer for the Association of Gastroenterology of Guatemala, 1999 y 2000.
- Vocal for the Board of Directors, Guatemala 1994-1996.
Association of Internal Medicine of Guatemala
- Treasurer of the Board of Directors, 1996.
- Treasurer for the Board of Directors of the Internal Medicine Association, 1995-1996.
- Pro treasurer for the Board of Directors of the Internal Medicine Association, 1994-1995.
British Society of Gastroenterology – BSG.
- Active Member
- Attendee, British Association for the Study of the Liver, London, 1990, 1991.
- Annual Convention, attendee 1988-1991: Southhampton, Coventry, Manchester, Sheffield, England.
- Publication: “Is Anaemia a feature of Portal Hypertensive Gastropathy?”. London 1991.
European Association for the Study of the Liver
- Conference Attendee, Palma de Mallorca, España, 1991.
College of Physicians and Surgeons of Guatemala
- Active Member (Collegiate No. 5582).
- Member of the Drafting Commission of the “Medical Statute”, 1987.
National Congress of Internal Medicine, Guatemala
- Member of the Organizing Committee of the XIII National Congress of Internal Medicine, 1995.
- Treasurer of the Organizing Committee of the XIV National Congress of Internal Medicine, 1996.
- Member of the Organizing Committee of the XIII National Congress of Internal Medicine, 1994-1995.
- Member of the Organizing Committee of the VI National Congress of Internal Medicine, 1988.
Esperanza University Hospital and Herrera Llerandi Hospital.
- Professor and Head of Unit and Postgraduate of Gastroenterology.
Central America Society of Gastroenterology
Society of Internal Medicine of Guatemala
Mayo Clinic, Gastroenterology and Hepatology Department
- Gastroenterology and Hepatology Course, Orlando Florida, March 2017.
- Hands-On Endoscopy Workshop, Attendee, Orlando, FL, 2014.
American College of Gastroenterology
- Attendee, Guatemala Regional Postgraduate Course, Antigua, Guatemala, 2010.
Francisco Marroquín University – UFM, School of Medicine, Guatemala
- Guest Professor in Post-Degree in Internal Medicine Studies, 2006.
- Doctor and Surgeon, 1984.
World Congress of Gastroenterology
- Post Graduate Course Advanced Endoscopy, 2003.
- 11th World Congress of Gastroenterology, 2003.
- 9th World Congress of Digestive Endoscopy, 2001.
- 6th World Congress of Colo-Proctology, Vienna, Austria, 1998.
- Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Oslo, Norway, 1991.
University of Sheffield, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Dept. of Medicine, Sheffield, England
- Specialization in Gastroenterology and Hepatology, 1988-1991.
Clinical and Provincial Hospital, Barcelona, España
- Rotation in the Gastroenterology and Hepatology Unit, 1991
Roosevelt Hospital, Internal Medicine Department, Guatemala
- Head of the Gastroenterology Unit in Roosevelt Hospital from 1995 to 1999.
- Associate Physician of the Internal Medicine Department from 1992 to 1999.
- Chief of Residents, 1987-1988.
- President of the Association of Residents and Interns, 1986-1987.
- Resident – first to third year from 1984 to 1987.
Universidad Del Valle de Guatemala
- Baccalaureatus In Scientis, 1980.
Research papers pending Submit / Publish
- Antibiotic Sensitivity of heliobactor Pylori in Guatemala.
- “Prevalence and Diagnostic Methods for Helicobacter pylori in patients with dyspepsia in Guatemala”
- “Prevalence of IgG antibodies against Helicobacter pylori in healthy adults in Guatemala”
- “Seroprevalence of antibodies against Hepatitis A virus in adults”
Multiple-dose pharmacokinetics of Rufloxacin in Patients with Cirrhosis, by Dr. Fernando Granai et al, 1993.
Penetration of Meropenum into Human Bile, by Dr. Fernando Granai et al.
- Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, 1992.
- Congress of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Oslo, Norway, 1991.
A pilot study of propranolol and misoprostol on acid output, gastric mucosal blood flow and endoscopic appearances in portal hypertensive gastropathy.
- By Dr. Fernando Granai, et al.
- Published by: Association of Physicians of Great Britain and Ireland, 1991.