Procedures and Treatments:
Arm and Hand Deformities
Mini-open Carpal Tunnel Release
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
De Quervain’s tenosynovitis release
Flexor tendon reconstruction
Ganglion wrist resection
Hand and Finger Injuries
Infiltrations- Steroid Shots
Rotator cuff repair
Scaphoid nonunion tumor
Shoulders and Elbows
Sports Injuries to the Hand and Wrist
Trigger finger release
Dr. Rodrigo Bolaños evaluates and treats patients who come to his office seeking relief from the pain they are suffering because of an accident, sports injury, or degenerative illness. He is one of the premier hand surgery specialists in Guatemala, recognized for excellence in the comprehensive management of complex hand, wrist and elbow disorders, including fractures and arthritis. With many years of practical experience since his fellowship in 2009, Dr. Bolaños is now performing around 500 hand and upper extremity surgeries per year.
Dr Bolaños and his team can provide a full-spectrum of care for various conditions of orthopedic illness. At the most highly-respected Guatemala City hospitals, he is proud to work with Dr. Carlos Rayo for spinal surgery, and Dr. Marvin Aceituno, a specialist in knee injuries. To oversee the daily therapeutic needs that help patients resume regular activity, they have a physical therapist in the clinic who is dedicated to treating post-operative orthopedic surgery patients.
To assure patients of surgical quality on par with the finest hospitals in the world, Dr. Bolaños brings his own state-of-the-art surgical equipment and prosthetics, made by respected German and Swiss medical instrument manufacturers, to the operating rooms of Guatemala City. Micro-surgical hand reconstructions, shoulder arthroplasty and finger joint replacements are more durable and flexible with implants from Acumed and Depuy Synthes. Incisions and suturing are tiny, normally healing completely and correctly to give the patient almost no indication of scarring.
It’s important to Dr Bolaños that his patients understand all facets of their situation and the process required to resolve the problem. He uses tools like photos and videos in the office to illustrate what’s going on, then refers to the diagnostic images for visual confirmation that he can share it with the patients. Since Dr. Bolaños works with everyone, from little babies and young mothers to the elderly and their caretakers, he takes the time to explain like a teacher, educating in a friendly way with words and methods that make sense.
When Dr. Bolaños needs more than a physical exam to diagnose pain and trauma, he depends on the ultra-modern diagnostic imaging facilities close to his office in the Las Majadas area. X-rays can clearly show bones and fractures, but to see bones in more detail, like density or tumor growth, a CT (computer tomography) scan is required. Soft tissue in the joints and surrounding the bones is visible in minute detail on an MRI image. However, to see how the tissues interact in motion and under stress, a dynamic ultrasound gives the doctor all the information he needs to determine the right procedure to get your range of motion back to top performance level.
Dr. Bolaños says, “The patient’s best chance for complete success is when he comes to my clinic early, first thing, soon after the injury. I treat many injuries that are just correcting the work of other doctors. I may not be the first doctor they go to, but when it’s done, I’m the last one they need.”
Some upper extremity cases commonly treated by Dr. Bolaños are:
- Scaphoid fracture is the most common type of carpal bone injury. It often occurs after a fall on the outstretched hand or in a motor vehicle accident, after hyperextension of the wrist joint. Because there is no visible deformity and no difficulty with motion, many people with this injury assume that it is a wrist “sprain.” Unfortunately, delaying treatment can cause associated problems.
- Dupuytren’s (du-pwe-TRANZ) contracture typically progresses over years, starting as a thickening of the skin on the palm of your hand, and eventually becoming puckered or dimpled, then resulting in a thick cord that can pull one or more fingers into a bent position. The affected fingers can’t be straightened completely, which can complicate everyday activities such as placing your hands in your pockets, putting on gloves or shaking hands.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis is an auto-immune disease. When it is not treated early, it can deteriorate the joints and connective tissue, and the patient suffers pain and disfigurement. Dr. Bolaños corrects the resulting deformity to restore function and mobility, thus resolving the consequences of rheumatoid arthritis. In many cases, arthroscopic synovectomy can reverse the damage caused by arthritis and joint aging.
- De Quervain’s tenosynovitis causes a painful inflammation of the tendons in your wrist and lower thumb when the swollen tendons rub against the narrow tunnel. Dr Bolaños can open the compartment that encases the tendons and allow them to move freely. The patient enjoys a restored range of motion and fast healing with tiny endoscopic incisions.
Dr. Bolaños is a delegate and Guatemala’s chairperson of the prestigious “Association for Osteosynthesis – A.O. Trauma” in Davos, Switzerland. As an honored international guest presenter in Switzerland, Dr. Bolaños prepares the educational seminars that will give young doctors the confidence to know they have the cutting-edge skills required to let them perform as well as any doctors in the world. They are an international community of orthopedic surgeons, musculoskeletal researchers, and operating room personnel dedicated to delivering knowledge, experience, and evidence to improve patient care and outcomes in the field of musculoskeletal trauma. He is also an honored guest speaker and instructor for the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons – AAOS, the preeminent provider of musculoskeletal education to orthopedic surgeons around the world.
Dr. Bolaños says, “Our hands are full of tiny parts in tiny spaces which need to function precisely in unison, like a Swiss clock. They are the real-life structures moving simultaneously in coordination that allow us to use external instruments.” Bi-manual dexterity is not something we think about every day, but it allows us to create the products we are proud of at our jobs, to prepare a nice meal for our family, to type the thoughts to share our opinions, and to caress our loved ones at home.
With fluent communication in Spanish, English and German, patients know that their hands are in the best hands with Dr. Rodrigo Bolaños.
American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons – AAOS
- International affiliate, 2008-2018. Afiliado Internacional desde 2008 hasta la fecha
- Participant, 77th Convention of AAOS, Las Vegas, NV, 2015
- Induction as International Member, San Francisco, California, 2008. Miembro Internacional, desde 2008
- Course Attendee: “Knee Replacement”, Guatemala, 2007. Asistente a Curso Internacional: “Reemplazo Articular de Rodilla”, Guatemala, 2007
Asociación Guatemalteca de Ortopedia y Traumatología – AGOT, Guatemala
- Presidente, 2015-2017
- Conferencista: Casos y Complicaciones en Ortopedia, Ciudad de Guatemala, 2017. Guest Speaker: Cases and Complications in Orthopedia, Guatemala, 2017
- Simposio Residentes de Ortopedia, Lesiones Deportivas de la Mano, 2017. Symposium of Orthopedia: Sports Injuries of the Hand, 2017
- Avances en el Tratamiento de Lesiones, y Cirugía de la Mano, 2017. Advances in the Surgical Treatment of Hand Injuries, 2017
- Conferencista Seminario, San Marcos, Guatemala, 2017. Seminar Speaker, 2017
- Instructor, Curso Maestros: Patología Quirúrgica Musculoesquelética, 2016. Master’s Course Instructor: Musculoskeletal Surgical Pathology, 2016
- Conferencista, Panel foro Lesiones Traumatologicas Frequentes, Guatemala, 2016. Speaker
- Conferencista, Guatemala, 2016. Forum Panel Speaker: Frequent Traumatic Lesions, 2016
- Simposio de Residentes de IGSS, Avances en Cirugia Articular, Guatemala, 2015. Instructor of Medical Residents: Advances in Joint Surgery, 2015
- Comite Organizador, Congreso Nacional, Guatemala, 2014
- Miembro Activo desde 2007
- Mejor residente programa de Traumatología y Ortopedia IGSS, 2005
Federación Internacional de Sociedades y Asociaciones Latinoamericanos de Ortopedia y Traumatología. International Federation of Latin American Societies and Associations of Orthopedics
- Conferencista, Republica Dominicana, 2016. Speaker, National Convention, 2016
- Miembro Internacional desde 2015. International Member since 2015
Asociación Guatemalteca de Cirugía de la Mano
- Miembro Activo desde 2010. Active Member since 2010
Association for Osteosynthesis | A.O. Trauma, Davos, Switzerland
- Webinar Podcast: Dr. Bolaños presents an update on the current management of frequent elbow fractures, called olecranon fractures. He talks about the decisions required to anticipate time and performance for the procedure, accounting for advance sand alternative treatments. August 2018 El Dr. Bolaños presenta una actualización sobre el manejo actual de fracturas frecuentes de codo, llamadas fracturas de olécranon. Él habla acerca de las decisiones necesarias para anticipar el tiempo y el rendimiento del procedimiento, teniendo en cuenta los tratamientos alternativos avanzados de arena. Agosto de 2018
- Guatemalan National Delegate for the Latin America Chapter, 2013-2018. Delegado Nacional Latinoamericano de Guatemala, 2013-2018
- Instructor, Master’s Course, 3rd year students, 2015-2017. Profesor del Curso de Maestros, 2015-2017
- National Instructor in Trauma Courses: Surgical Treatment of Fractures, 2017. Profesor Nacional, Trauma Curso: Tratamientos Quirúrgicos de las Fracturas, Guatemala, 2017
- Regional Instructor: Complications in Difficult Fractures, 2017. Profesor Regional, Fracturas Difíciles y Complicaciones, San José, Costa Rica, 2017
- Regional Instructor: Trauma of the Musculoskeletal System, 2017. Profesor Regional, Trauma del Aparato Locomotor, Republica Dominicana, 2017
- International Instructor: Masters in Surgery of the Hand and Wrist, 2016. Profesor Internacional, Maestros en Cirugía de Mano y Muñeca, 2016
- National Instructor, Surgery of the Foot and Ankle, 2016. Profesor Nacional, Cirugía de Pie y Tobillo, Guatemala, 2016
- Profesor Regional, Principios de los Tratamientos Quirúrgicos de la Fracturas, Guadalajara, México, 2016. Regional Instructor: Principles of Surgical Treatment of Fractures, Mexico, 2016
- Profesor Internacional, Cirugía de Mano y Muñeca, Davos, Suiza, 2015. International Instructor, Surgery of the Hand and Wrist, Switzerland, 2015
- Profesor Regional, Principios Avanzados en el Tratamiento Quirúrgica de Fracturas, México DF, 2015
- Profesor Regional, Principios Básicos en el Tratamiento Quirúrgico, Sao Paulo Brasil, 2015
- Director Curso: Cirugía de Mano y Muñeca, Guatemala 2015
- Profesor Regional: Trauma Miembro Superior, Caracas, Venezuela, 2015
- Participante: Programa Entrenamiento Directores, Santiago, Chile, 2014
- Alumnus, member, since 2007
International Confederation of Health Confederation Internacional de la Salud
- International Certification for Medical Excellence. Certificado Internacional a la Excelencia Medica, 2015
Instituto Guatemalteco de Seguridad Social – IGSS, Guatemala
- Conferencista en Simposio Titulado: Avances en el Tratamiento Ortopédico y Traumatológico de Miembro Superior y Cirugía de la Mano, 2017. Symposium Speaker – Professor, Presentation of “Advances in Orthopedic Treatment of Upper Extremities and Hand Surgery”
- Jefe de Servicio Médico Modulo Mano y Miembro Superior, 2012. Chief of the Hand and Upper Limbs Surgical Unit, 2012
- Especialista en Cirugía de la Mano, 2010-2011
- Jefe de Residentes Departamento de Traumatología y Ortopedia IGSS, 2007
- 1er lugar académico-docente cada uno de los 4 años de residencia programa de Traumatología y Ortopedia, 2005
American Society for Surgery of the Hand
- International Afiliate Member since 2015
Colegio de Medico y Cirujanos de Guatemala Guatemala College of Physicians and Surgeons
- Miembro Activo desde 2003
Download complete C.V. here.
Congreso Internacional de Cirugía y Terapia de la Mano
- Conferencista, Ciudad de Guatemala, 2018
Congreso Nacional de Medicina, Guatemala
- Trauma de la Mano, Conferencista, Ciudad de Guatemala, 2010
- Asistente a los Congresos de Traumatología y Ortopedia, 2003-2007
AO Trauma, Davos, Switzerland
- International Professor: Master’s Course on Surgery of Shoulder and Elbow, 2018.
- Special Course: Flaps in the upper and Lower Extremities, Miami, 2017.
- Special Course: The Principles in the Surgical Treatment of Fractures, in Guatemala 2010.
- Attendee: Central America Courses on Hand Surgery, Guatemala, 2004, 2005, 2006.
Universidad El Bosque, Facultad de Medicina, Bogota, Colombia
- Sub-specialty in Hand and Upper Limb Surgery, first year post-graduate studies, 2009-2010.
- Intensive Course in Microsurgery and lab work in Experimental Surgery, 2009.
- Orthopedic Techniques of the Future, 2009.
Ibero-Latin American Hand Surgery Congress
- National Congress Attendee, 2009
Fundación Santa Fé, Bogota,Colombia
- Fellowship Awarded by the A. O. Foundation, 2008
Universidad de San Carlos de Guatemala – USAC, School of Medical Sciences
- Management of Health Services, 2007
- Coordinator of the 21st Round Table Symposium for Medical Residents in Orthopedics, Guatemalan Social Security Institute, 2007
- Residency as Specialist in Orthopedics, 2003-2007
- Organizer of the 20th annual Symposium for Orthopedic Residents, 2006
Health Stream International, Miami Beach, Florida
- Advanced Reconstruction of the Foot and Ankle, Miami Beach, 2005.
Universidad de Francisco Marroquin – UFM, Facultad de Medicina, Guatemala
- First Place on the Dean’s List, 2002
- Master’s Degree Physician and Surgeon, 2002
- , Bachelor’s degree, 1998
The Recurrence of Wrist Ganglia After Open Surgical Resection
- Fundación de Santa Fe de Bogotá, 2009
Value of Albumin Service at the Moment of Hospital Admission as a Mortality Prediction Factor in Patients Over 50 Years of Age with Hip Fracture.
- Hospital de Accidentes – IGSS, 2007
Utilización del Clavo Bloqueado Intramedular Anterógrado a la Placa Dinámica de Compresión en la Fractura Diafisaria Humeral
- Hospital de Accidentes – IGSS, 2006
Charity, Public Service, Donations
Dr. Bolaños is respected guest speaker at the regional medical conferences throughout Guatemala, donating his time and talent to training young doctors. In small cities and towns, local doctors appreciated the opportunity to hear lectures and learn new techniques from Dr. Bolaños, which will increase their own knowledge and skills to better serve their patients, who are far away from city resources. He has participated in many medical missions and symposia in Esquipulas and Retalhuleu since 2014.